Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Textile inspirations










I was reading Jude's blog... Spirit Cloth and admiring her beautiful weaving and it reminded me of how much I love Peruvian textiles too. Years ago I decided I wanted to paint something and I thought..."what do I love to look at?"..I came up with textiles...so I painted some textile designs inspired by ancient Peruvian designs on canvas. I found these designs in a wonderful book called,"To Weave for the Sun...Ancient Andean Textiles" by Rebecca Stone-Miller.
Just before I met Dennis, I took a trip to Peru and Bolivia with a group of textile artists from all over the United States. We traveled all over with our guides visiting weavers, dyers and wonderful archeaological sites including Tiahuanaco near Lake Titicaca and Machu Picchu. I loved the city of Cuzco and the museums in Lima had wonderful pre-columbian jewelry and incredible weavings. I would love to go back and explore again....until then I'll just have to get out the books!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is beautiful. The painting are gorgeous, the rug hooking looks really interesting...makes me want to get out my wool and the portrait of you and your cousin is sweet, both of them. How fortunate you are to have each other and you really do look like sisters.