Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I get to meet Martha Stewart!



Here's my little story: Normally I don't watch TV during the day, but last week I had some hand sewing to do so I turned on the TV and Martha was on. It was a fun show and she made the toadstools and snails out of pumpkins and squash similar to the ones on the cover of her latest Martha Stewart Living magazine. At the end of the show she mentioned that she was going to be in California doing a book signing of her latest cook book and invited us all to come meet her.
So I thought that I might just do that if I could work it out schedule wise. Sunday night I hooked a little pumpkin for a little gift for Martha (and a little shameless self promotion) and finished it up Monday morning just in case I had a chance to drive to Los Angeles. I was hoping that my husband could go with me and we could get in a visit to his mother and maybe a quick trip to Ikea. It turned out that he couldn't leave the store so since the book signing was at 5pm I headed on down by myself. I got there early, bought her book inside Sur La Table at Farmer's Market and went back in line. While we waited we were served appetizers from her cook book and offered wine, (none for me thanks, I'm driving,) still a nice gesture. The line started moving and we finally got inside. There was no posing with Martha and no personalizing of books, just a signature and a quick hello. When my turn came, Martha looked up and I told her I wanted to thank her for bringing so much beauty into the world. Then I said, "I brought you a little gift." She said, "What's that?" I said, "A rug hooked pumpkin! I'm a hooker...." she gave me a funny look and I said, 'You know the wholesome kind!" She smiled,thanked me and handed the pumpkin to her assistant and off I went. I had one of the folks from the line take a quick photo before I had to move along. She looked great, was very friendly and let some young girls pose with her for photos. After the signing I strolled around Farmers Market where I used to go with my parents when I was little and then went over to The Grove, the cool new mall where the celebs hang out.
In the center of The Grove was a small lake and thousands of little lights in the trees. I took a quick look in Anthropologie and then off to IKEA for a little shopping. The Holiday tent was set up already so I had to take a peek and found some fun things to bring home. I got home about 10:30pm, so not bad for a trip to Los Angeles on a school night!

5 comments:

Kristin L said...

Good for you! Sounds like a fun day.

And even though Martha may not have personally thanked you got her gift, I want to thank you for mine! I love all the surprise goodies you sent me -- you are too too nice. I'm making up a return surprise, but I move a little slow.

Tammy Burks said...

How fun is that?! I know a lot of people like to bash Martha, but I think she's worked really hard to get where she's at.

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

OMG! Like anyone could think you were anything but wholesome! I mean you are one of the sweetest, most mother of the earth women I know! Anyone who stands in your prescence for 5 seconds picks up on that! (And I mean that in the most sincerist and good ways!) Too funny!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Laughing here -- I would have loved to see that funny look on her face! You are such a sweetie to bring her a little pumpkin, self-promotion or not.

susan said...

great story about seeing the Martha. and love the Muse banner and the owl pins and the shrines!